First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
TLDR version: I've played Eve for quite a while over the last several years, but just got my first kills (as ganks) today, and it was a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to blasting more miners (and others) in the future.

Long version: I've played eve actively for a couple of years between 2006 and now, and I just got my first PVP kills today. Both were suicide ganks done with my catalyst alts that I trained up over the last week or so while my "real" characters (who are miners) went without training.

This morning started with my alts sitting in a gallente system where they had holed up to buy the necessary skill books and ships+fits over the last few days. I checked out dotlan for .5 and .6 systems near me and ended up finding like 6 totally untanked retrievers in the first system I flew my scout into. I picked the retriever who had a warp core stab wasting a low slot for my first target! :)

As literally my first offensive PVP in Eve, and trying to do this with 4 accounts at once, I botched a few things. First off, I overheated my low slots instead of my high slots while warping into the belt... I just assumed 1 was the high slots, but nope... it was 3. Oh well. I also had forgotten to turn off the green light safety switch thing... so the gank started with my 4 catalysts targetting this guy's retriever, then sitting 1000m away from him for 10-15 seconds while I fumbled through the menus to confirm a red light on all my ships. Once the safety switch was allowing me to be mean, I was trying to click between accounts quickly to activate scrams and turret groups on each account, then I settled on my one catalyst with sensor boosters to watch the retriever die and try to catch the pod too.

The guy was paying attention by this point. He started trying to align to something but his stab wasn't going to save him. Concord appeared. I always had thought they would appear at the very last moment of the "X seconds until Concord engages in Y security status systems" and then instantly kill all of my ships. It seems like they appear and take a couple seconds to target and scramble though, and then begin shooting at the X seconds point. I'm pretty sure I watched 3 of my ships die a good 1.5-2 seconds before my final ship (the one I was slowest to engage the retriever with).

I didn't get the pod though. I BARELY got the retriever, because it turned out not only did I not overheat any racks, but I was at too long of range with one catalyst and getting a lot of glancing shots, and I somehow didn't even activate the weapons on another of my ships. Fortunately 4 cats at 350+ overheated ended up being enough to do the job even with me trying to mess things up, and I finished off the retriever at the same moment concord popped my last catalyst.

I ended up not looting or salvaging anything in the continuing scramble as I tried to warp my pods to safety (forgetting I could warp squad in the heat of the moment), especially since my scout had been afterburning his way off into nowhere during the fight. But I did it. My first kill, my first gank. Yay!

Tonight I got another one. This one was "more like it"! I started scouting other .5 and .6 systms out from my previous location, since the only appealing target there (I was already not interested in more retrievers, haha) was hanging out in the belt I had summoned concord into earlier. After maybe 25 or 30 min of fanning out, flying my scout around checking dscan while my catalysts lagged a system back, I found a mackinaw in a belt by himself. Passive targetted him, ship scanned him, didn't seem to arouse any suspicion... looked like he had no tank at all. Mining drones were circling near him as he hugged the asteroid belt.

This time I properly overheated my catalysts as they warped in, targetted and had my ships at a better range than last time, and activated ALL my weapon groups. The mack dropped lickity split. I had two sensor boosters on my pod killer this time, and I got a lock on the pod but the one volley that chased it into warp wasn't enough to kill it... I guess I was too far away, and I didn't get a lock on it with my ships that have the CPU to fit scrams.

I looted a bit this time, got a few million in ore and t2 drones/mining upgrades! Turns out this fella whose ship I just popped had a ~20 million bounty on him though... so I actually came out ahead! =D Just a shame I couldn't catch that pod. His last pod to get popped looks like it had several hundred million in implants in it :(

Re: First PVP; first ganks

John E Normus
Outstanding!
John XIII, proud member of the MinerBumping channel, October 2012 - February 2014.  RIP you magnificent bastard

Re: First PVP; first ganks

290xanaots
Fantastic. Keep up the good work!

This post is a wonderful log of Babby's First Gank and all the things that can go wrong. miner by day shows great skill (something our enemies claim we lack) in overcoming his own oversights to successfully complete his gank.

The only thing that would make this post better is a couple killmails!

Re: First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
Oops. How remiss of me!

https://zkillboard.com/kill/45499842/
https://zkillboard.com/kill/45507580/

Going into this, I didn't think that ganking was quite the "omg, you're just killing defenseless miners because you're afraid to do real pvp" thing that some detractors claim. Either you're investing a couple of months of training time into a character to get to the point you can gank well solo (and you still probably want a scout), or you're coordinating with buddies, or you're trying to play multiple accounts in a frenzy of activity. And you need to do logistics work to get the ships/mods into the same spot as your partners/alts, and you need to do intel work to find the right targets (not all miners are 3/4 afk in unfitted mackinaws in .5 systems, after all), etc.

Trying to gank controlling all of the accounts involved by myself was definitely a challenge though. I think I'll get better at it, but I probably should continue training at least one of these guys towards full T2 fittings and see about playing him with others who embrace this sort of thing as more than just a pastime :)

Re: First PVP; first ganks

Super Perforator
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Whilst you are about it, you should consider bringing your ganking alts into a New Order friendly corporation!

Apply to New Order Logistics today... or just send me an Evemail to talk about it!

The CODEdot alliance could use you!
Ask your local weapons trader for the Super Perforator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0RIbxGxQc

Re: First PVP; first ganks

Ophidia Black
Excellent work! \o/

Re: First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
Got another one today: https://zkillboard.com/kill/45555697/

This guy was even moving across the belt, so presumably at his keyboard, when my scout flew in close behind him and started following and as my catalysts warped in and targetted him. I figured out that I actually DON'T need to rush the engage before a gank, since unless the guy is already aligning to warp when my cats appear, I have a few seconds to make sure I have ranges and locks with all accounts before needing to activate tackles to keep him from running off.

Missed the pod again though. Not sure if I'm too slow killing the ship or too slow targeting the pod or both.

Had to warp my pods a few times during the GCC this time, actually. Someone found me near the planet I first warped to 100 at and then probed me out at a mid-warp BM I made while leaving that planet too :)

I'll get in touch ingame about your offer, Super Perforator, when I have some more time to spend on these guys than 1 quick gank every few days :)

Re: First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
Kinda crazy how quick this wanton (used a dictionary to make sure that word was just right for the situation, and it is!) destruction can come about. I have like 4 days of training into each of my alts, a total of like 40 million spent so far between skill books, 12 catalysts and fits, ship and fit for my scout (probably breaking even after recovered loot and the bounty I got on my second kill), and probably 3 hours spent actually in space with these alts... and I've caused 450 million isk in damage.

I know I'm a small fry, not blowing up 10 billion idiotfreighters or toasting 200 unique venture pilots in a month or anything, but it's fun. Will be interesting to see how things change when my alts hit -5 :)

Re: First PVP; first ganks

290xanaots
You need to sign on with CODE.

I think you've got a real shot at going pro.

Re: First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
Aww, shucks

Learned some new stuff today on another mackinaw kill. Kill rights are a thing, and I kinda have to watch out for them as my kill list grows. And I think the reason I haven't got a pod yet is I'm too slow killing the ships; looks like Concord had sucked my cap dry by the time I locked this most recent pod, so I couldn't activate my blasters!

I'll try to get in touch with you ingame tonight, Super.

Re: First PVP; first ganks

miner_by_day
This post was updated on .
I just can't get over how many people are apparently EVERYWHERE in New Eden practically begging to be ganked.

I snuck down to my office to hop on Eve and scout for a potential quick gank this afternoon. I found another mackinaw hanging out in a belt in the system I had logged off in, but it was the same belt I ganked in earlier so concord was still present. So I docked my scout, left my ship behind, zipped to a new station to get a noob ship, then flew to the BM where my catalysts were aligned to the belt the mackinaw was at and shot one of them. Concord showed up in the middle of nowhere to smoke my scout's noob ship, and my catalysts warped in on the mackinaw.

He wasn't entirely oblivious though, so somewhere between my scout going flashy in local and concord leaving his belt and my 4 catalysts needing to slowboat 25km to him since my mobile warp-in point was indisposed... he warped out only a few km before I would have scrambled him.

I immediately saw another mack on dscan who wasn't there before though. I fiddled with the directional scanner to figure out which belt he was in and I just sent my 4 catalysts right to it. Warped in and he was 30km away from the belt's WTZ. I saw I was in line with the sun, so I went right back into warp towards the sun, chuckling as he launched light combat drones as I zipped past. I turned around right away when I reached the sun, warped to 30, and dropped in right on top of the guy and his 4 light combat drones.

With concord already around out at my bookmark, I just went at him without caring that I didn't have any scanner intel. I popped the mack and got his pod too (not a single implant... I guess you don't need many skillpoints to AFK mine though!), and I  still was sitting around waiting for a few seconds more for concord to show up and deliver their punishment to my destroyers.

This guy was my first kill to react in local to my gank! You'll have to pardon me, though. My inexperience acting as an ambassador of James 315 to typical high-sec miners is showing in the conversation with this fellow:

I was too slow taking a screenshot to catch him in the private chat, but he saw those messages before he left :)

Re: First PVP; first ganks

Super Perforator
miner_by_day wrote
Aww, shucks

Learned some new stuff today on another mackinaw kill. Kill rights are a thing, and I kinda have to watch out for them as my kill list grows.
Kill rights are actually nothing... once you get to -5 people can shoot you whenever, wherever. The same goes for wardecs...

miner_by_day wrote
 And I think the reason I haven't got a pod yet is I'm too slow killing the ships; looks like Concord had sucked my cap dry by the time I locked this most recent pod, so I couldn't activate my blasters!
I tried flying Sebo fit catalysts... but my old computer lags so much when a ship explodes that they don't actually help much. Sometimes I get lucky!

miner_by_day wrote
I'll try to get in touch with you ingame tonight, Super.
Evemail is probably the best way... then we can avoid Time Zone problems! We'd love to have you! :)