Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

alanacharenteng
This post was updated on .
In the interest of fostering a more responsible and respectable breed of highsec miner, I thought I would post several fits one might use to harden one's fleet against the typical gank. Perhaps someday, the New Order will sponsor a 'model miner community', where the most proactive, creative, and funniest miners are brought together to demonstrate the fact that gank defense is possible.

If I absolutely had to run a mining op with Mackinaws and Retrievers in a New Order ice field, this is how I would fit my ships. None of these ships are 100% gank-proof, and they're not meant to be. If you want to be effectively gank-proof, then fly a Procurer or Skiff.

All skills at 5, for ease of comparison. EHP and dps-tank numbers are without ganglinks. Adding Siege links will significantly improve these stats.

Mining Ships

The ships everyone loves to see explode. Use shield maintenance bots, and assist to other miners - damage drones are useless against ganks.

Mackinaw
- (2x) Ice Harvester II
- Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
- Limited Kinetic Deflection Field I
- Limited Thermic Dissipation Field I
- Medium F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
- Internal Force Field Array I
- Beta Reactor Control: Reaction Control I
- Ice Harvester Upgrade II
- Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I
- Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
- (5x) Medium Shield Maintenance Bot
Mackinaw is tanked to 41k EHP against hybrids (bonus: if you're at the keyboard, you can overheat to 50k!). EM hole remains - the vast majority of ganks don't involve EM damage. This is not a max-tank fit, you can go even higher if necessary.

Retriever
- (2x) Ice Harvester II
- Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
- Damage Control II
- 200mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I
- Ice Harvester Upgrade II
- Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I
- Medium Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer I
- Medium Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I
- (5x) Light Shield Maintenance Bot
Retriever is tanked to 20k EHP against hybrids.

Shield Support

Shield support ships increase your fleet's survivability.

Orca
- Siege Warfare Link - Active Shielding II
- Siege Warfare Link - Shield Efficiency II
- Siege Warfare Link - Shield Harmonizing II
- (4x) Remote Sensor Booster II (Scan Resolution Script)
- Damage Control II
- Reinforced Bulkheads II
- (5x) Medium Shield Maintenance Bot
Use your remote sensor boosters to assist your ewar ships.

Scythe
- 3x Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
- 10MN Afterburner II
- Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
- Kinetic Deflection Field II
- Thermic Dissipation Field II
- Large F-S9 Regolith Shield Induction
- Damage Control II
- (4x) Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
- Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
- (2x) Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I
- (4x Medium, 1x Light) Shield Maintenance Bot
32k EHP against hybrids (43k overheated). Orbit at range with afterburner running. +780 dps tank to Retriever, +1460 dps tank to Mackinaw.

Osprey
- 4x Medium S95a Partial Shield Transporter
- Medium 'Regard' Power Projector
- 10MN Afterburner II
- Adaptive Invulnerability Field Ii
- Kinetic Deflection Field II
- Thermic Dissipation Field II
- Large Shield Extender II
- Damage Control II
- (2x) Beta Reactor Control: Capacitor Power Relay I
- (3x) Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
- (4x) Light Shield Maintenance Bot
46k EHP against hybrids (63k overheated). Orbit at range with afterburner running, capchain with a partner (osprey, basi, orca). +840 dps tank to Retriever, +1580 dps tank to Mackinaw.

Ewar Support

Ewar reduces gankers' effective dps.

Blackbird
- (6x) 'Hypnos' Ion Field ECM I
- Armor Kinetic Hardener II
- Armor Thermic Hardener II
- 1600mm Reinforced Titanium Plates II
- (2x) Medium Particle Dispersion Augmentor I
- (2x) Light Shield Maintenance Bot
29k EHP against hybrids (38k overheated). 11.3 overheated ECM strength (85% chance of jam against a catalyst with level 5 sensor compensation, which nobody will have). Receiving 4 resebos (with scanres) from an orca will let you lock catalysts in 1 second. This fit is only intended for protecting your own mining gang - hence, no range upgrades.

A common complaint is that gankers will simply target support ships. Your support ships are not invincible, but gankers will have a very difficult time trading cost-effectively with you.

BONUS - For the Solo, 'Leave-Me-Alone-I Don't-Care' Miner
If you are angry about bumps or ganks, and you can't be bothered to find like-minded miners to work with, then look no further than the Procurer or Skiff. You mine faster than with the Mackinaw fit above, but your ore hold is smaller (I know, it's terrible!). The reason these ships are such unattractive targets is because they have high tank relative to their cost. CCP made these ships so that you can mine without fear - the fact that so many miners are complaining just demonstrates how they haven't spent enough time looking for obvious solutions.

Procurer
- Ice Harvester II
- Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
- (2x) Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
- Medium Shield Extender II
- (2x) Ice Harvester Upgrade II
- Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I
- (2x) Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
55k EHP omni tank, 210 speed.

Skiff
- Ice Harvester II
- Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
- (2x) Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
- Thermic Dissipation Field II
- Medium Shield Extender II
- (2x) Ice Harvester Upgrade II
- Medium Ice Harvester Accelerator I
- Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
65k EHP omni tank, 470 speed.

These aren't even particularly tanky fits - I've purposely left off a damage control in favor of a second Ice Harvester Upgrade. Perma-run your MWDs and set a close orbit. Be secure in the knowledge that you are a miner who is able to adapt.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Wescro
Excellent suggestions, code compliant miners should take note.

Personally I would ditch the yield rig and mining upgrade. Even if they add an extra 500k ISK per hour, they also remove the need for perhaps one or two extra gankers needed for that gank. At 500k per hour, it'd take over 400 hours of not getting ganked to be long term beneficial to use even a single yield rig.

Also, this comes from experience. Just don't fly exhumers. They cost 5 times as much as their mining barge counterparts, but stats-wise aren't even twice as good.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Galaxy_Pig
While this may somewhat harm my propaganda campaign working to mind-fuck the miners into complete downtrodden acceptance of defeat, I admire the time and effort you put into this guide, even though it won't help them in the slightest as the cards are all stacked against them. ;)

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Agent Trask
Yep.

Rebels will never actually do something about the cesspit they live in. Hopefully Code compliant miners can learn from this thread.

Only Gallant would tank his t1 barge, watch local, and leave when red flashies show up.

Goofus always flies t2 exhumers, AFKs, and never tanks them ( sacrificing EHP for moar mining ). And then gets all potty mouthed when we try to teach him something different.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

admiral root
A very informative post to which all self-respecting miners should pay heed.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Highsec Miner
Teach them something? Watch local for red flashies?  Red flashies only happen AFTER a suicide gank, not before.  There is NO warning if a bunch of -10 gankers come into the system.  Learn the game mechanics before you spew nonsense...

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Determinor
I think the bonus should have a max fitted skiff with shield implants :)

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Wescro
Highsec Miner wrote
Uh, maybe you should learn how to change overview settings to display people -5 and below?

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Agent Trask
You do know how to set up your overview to make people with extremely low CONCORD reputation show up as red and flashy?

Perhaps you should do some Eve forum research on properly setting up your overview?

One would think that marking possible gankers for attention would be important for a miner. You should learn something about game mechanics before spewing such nonsense.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Neltharak Idrissil
Unfuck your overview, get the -5 and under security status to flashy red, watch local, be fucking careful, mine aligned, watch dscan, long story short, get a brain.

Learn game mechanics before you spew nonsense.

James in the sky, these people are dense.

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

NobodyReally
Some good ideas. I have my overview set as suggested and find it useful most of the time.

But I'm mining in nullsec so none of it really applies. We mine in fleet, with overwatch, and if a few neuts pop into the system we just warp to a tower and let the pvp folks deal with it.

I sure do watch local though, have it seperated from the main chat window, pulled up longways along the left border of the screen all the way to Route, in compact mode. All I want to see if anyone not in alliance/corp, I could care less what their security rating is because all of us have set the safety to red anyway.

We see some Goonswarm come through sometimes, but have never ever once seen any CODE there. Gank ships won't last long against dreads and carriers. LOL

Re: Gank-Hardened Mining Fleet

Mining beast
Obviously ur too retarded to search for known gankers corps/alliances and add them as contacts with terrible standings.So"Learn the game mechanics before you spew nonsense..." you fucking moronic piece of shit noob!!