Handling camping vultures

Gevlon
The vultures are annoying. They camp undocks and gates in seboed ships. We can gank them sometimes for hilarity but it makes no difference, they just come back. They have no purpose or goal, just want to pass time. They will just increase in number as the New Order gains fame.

However there is a way to operate completely free of vultures, making them helpless to interfere. It's not easy but I see no other way to keep operating without constant scouting and playing hide&seek with these lolkids.

The idea needs the knights to be in the ganker corp or being blued to it. Then the corp just installs small towers in every system of interest. The staging would happen within the POS shield using alt Orcas which deploy fitted catalysts. There could be 3 flavors (low meta, high meta, T2). The mids could be modified using the Orca's mainenance array.

Then the Knights could safely warp out directly from the POS to the scout, and then back in pod. No bouncing, no nothing. In case of pulling concord the Orca could deploy shuttles.

When changing systems, the Knights can just fly shuttles and move between POS-es, with the Orca(s) following them.

Re: Handling camping vultures

Dr Tyler
Nice idea, with one small snag:

There is no way in this life or the next you'll ever get me mining ice.

DrT

Re: Handling camping vultures

Manny Moons
We can always collect the ice from the ganked Macks.

At the moment, the faction standing of the current corp is a bit low...  But one of our shareholders runs a nice faction booster service.

The biggest issue I see is that the POS's would be war targets. We'd have to focus a lot more on defense.

Re: Handling camping vultures

MinerBumping
Administrator
Station Campers:

Using a proper set of insta undocks will make you completely invulnerable to station campers. Align time is near zero, and they cannot lock you no matter how many sensor boosters they use. Proper insta undocks are available as corporation bookmarks to everyone in New Order Logistics. Those not in NOL can get copies from those who are in NOL.

Some campers will camp the locations of the insta undocks themselves. This is countered by having several insta undocks, and occasionally warping to them at 100km, thereby effectively doubling your number of insta undocks. For example, I can warp to 12-14 different insta undocks in the new HQs. Just cycle through them and no station camper can ever tackle you.

I have yet to encounter a station camper who can deal with the above counters.

Gate Campers:

Gate campers rely on predictability, which is based on repetition. Hit different systems, or hit the system of the HQ, or take different routes to the same system. For example, there are 4 different routes to Carirgnottin, so even if you hit that system repeatedly, they cannot camp you unless you take the same route each time. Don't do the same thing over and over, and gate campers will be completely ineffective.

Re: Handling camping vultures

alanacharenteng
The possibility of using Orcas and POS's has come up on several occasions, but I think it may not be ideal for the way I've seen the New Order operate. One of the greatest advantages we have is flexibility - being able to deploy a gank fleet in almost any system, given basic equipment and an appropriate station.

Using an Orca on occasion could be fun, to mix things up. But relying on an Orca will reduce gankfleet's effectiveness. An Orca can only carry 7 fitted Catalysts simultaneously, and once gankers board their ships in space, they cannot abort the operation without docking up, as ejecting from a ship will still let faction police destroy it. In almost all cases, I think the Orca pilot would serve better use as an additional scout.

A POS demands more time spent in installing and fueling it, but adds relatively little benefit. Station insta bookmarks are already very effective for avoiding station-camping vultures. Gate-camping vultures will not be affected by a POS, unless you plan to install one in every system you want to strike in (which would be very costly). You'll need a corp with high empire faction standings (7.0 to install towers in 0.7 and lower), as well as fuel for each tower. I doubt it would be worthwhile as a routine.

Re: Handling camping vultures

admiral root
The POS thing works perfectly well - we had one in Kamio (after destroying the rebel one that was there).  Alas, like voice comms, no-one seems interested.  Makes me very sad.

If the number of vultures starts to drastically increase we can simply take a week off from blapping miners and go after the vultures instead.  Given the moronic fittings we regularly see, I predict a lot of carebear tears, no losses for the Knights and a far fewer vultures at the end of the week. :)

Re: Handling camping vultures

Agent Eunoli
admiral root wrote
The POS thing works perfectly well - we had one in Kamio (after destroying the rebel one that was there).  Alas, like voice comms, no-one seems interested.  Makes me very sad.

If the number of vultures starts to drastically increase we can simply take a week off from blapping miners and go after the vultures instead.  Given the moronic fittings we regularly see, I predict a lot of carebear tears, no losses for the Knights and a far fewer vultures at the end of the week. :)
I would be semi-interested in comms so long as it is a comms that I already use and it isn't mandatory to be in.  :)

It's more about setting it up and letting people know.  Of course, then we'll have to potentially deal with upset individuals who try to crash our comms party.  That leads to moderation systems and a modicum of security which, in some ways, is contrary to the spirit of the New Order.

Anyone can be an Agent of the New Order of Highsec simply by engaging in bumping or ganking in the spirit of the Code.

Who gets an invite to comms?

Re: Handling camping vultures

Agent Trask
I suggest using Eve Voice.

Audio quality is a bit rough, but it does work.

Re: Handling camping vultures

Melissa Cesaille
 While the mechanics of our fleets are very simple, I often find my auslag kicks in somewhere between the 4 and the 1 of the countdown. As we all know, those are some of our most important numbers. It would help if I could count down with my speaking words, but I don't think it's been a gank ruining issue yet.

 Quicker voice communication could refine aborting ganks in the event of unforseen circumstances, such as a target warping out, or the entire fleet having a change of heart and electing to join the side of bots, or everyone forgot to pack ammo.

Re: Handling camping vultures

John E Normus
Per James 315s instructions, suicide griffon pilot available upon request.
John XIII, proud member of the MinerBumping channel, October 2012 - February 2014.  RIP you magnificent bastard

Re: Handling camping vultures

admiral root
Agent Eunoli wrote
Who gets an invite to comms?
Whomever you want.  I've set the TS server up with a complaints channel so that miners can speak to an agent privately (and tears can be recorded \o/), as well as a channel for agents.  As for crashing the party, I've already set it up so that no-one can get past the lobby without having a server group assigned to them.  A few responsible agents could help with that part if we're going to use it.

The server costs me nothing to run, so it's no big deal if people don't use it.  I do think it's far superiour to text for running fleets, though.  There's also more slots available if need be.