Just a few random thoughts.

Fernando MRuiz
We've got quite a bit of time until the servers become a little more stable, and I've been thinking about this for a little longer than that.  This might get a little ranty -- old habits die hard, after all -- but it's a small list of things I want to get off my chest.

Let's start with my thoughts on CODE.  Nothing bad, trust me.

I'll admit that I've been a convert for quite some time.  At first, it just seemed like an RP group that's rather big on audience participation.  It was an agent who clarified a few things in PMs after a thread on the EO forums (I wish I could remember what thread, because my history is just flat-out gone, but it was a thread complaining about hisec ganks IIRC), and after a discussion with the agent, I realized that it was more of an unofficial war against players that believe that they should be allowed to play a multiplayer game by themselves without being attacked.

Over time, my mindset changed.  I won't go so far as to claim that my Skiff is invincible -- no ship in the game outside of one Stabber I hear about is invincible if enough people hit it hard enough and with enough ammunition -- but I've had help from CODE. agents regarding fitting recommendations that make me feel like I can survive a little longer than I used to.  That's one aspect of CODE. that I noticed doesn't get discussed; sure, there's going to be someone who gets popped who swears up and down that CODE. is nothing but a bunch of people who get their jollies by attacking miners, but that's only because their minds are closed.  CODE.'s got a lot of good advice to provide.

Plus, there's gankers who would gank a miner because tears are better than tequila to them and nothing else.  "You consent to PvP when you click “undock”" and all that, and why given a random ganker a nice, shiny target that'll run about 300M total to replace?  At least Agents have given me advice on how to make it a less appealing target.

And speaking of targets, an observation on pure carebears.

Something I admit about myself to this day is that I don't have the mindset to gank anybody.  Overall, it doesn't bother me one bit that PVP even exists; in fact, the warnings that the game isn't newbie-friendly were what actually got me interested in the game to begin with; I just don't have any real desire to.  Now that that's out of the way...

Previous MMOs that I've played in the past restricted PVP somehow: you could only engage in it in certain areas, there were level limits that had to be obeyed, you could only go for it during certain events, you could only hit certain people in one group, blah blah blah.  And sure enough, it didn't take very long for me to get the EVE Experience.  Back then, it annoyed the hell outta me.  Okay, they all did.  They came out of nowhere, and ten seconds later, I would be in a fresh clone and questioning 'what... just happened?'

Then I started to have a thought.  "Fernando, this game practically has infinite lives, and you're skilled up enough to run L1s and get back to where you were before.  Stop being a baby and find a mission already."  And that was my Road to Damascus moment: that was the point where I realized I had to be aware that not everyone was in the game to succeed, but that they were there to do whatever they wanted.  And that made it easier to accept being hit.

And to use dscan like it dispensed money, dopamine and pie, but that's beside the point.

Even prior to this site opening up and CODE. becoming more and more widespread, I noticed that other carebears weren't as ready to accept that the game is designed to let anyone enjoy the game regardless of how they make their fun.  We still see them take to the forums and rant about how being hit is unfair and how PVP should be nerfed and how exploit, harassment, ToS violation, extortion, waaaaaaaaaah.

Even to this day, seeing those threads makes my eye twitch because of the sheer entitlement those threads display.  It honestly makes me wonder how they'd react to minor inconveniences like parking tickets or not getting the booth they want at Denny's.  It's not all carebears, mind you -- I still see the occasional 'gf' in local now and again -- but the ones who, nuts as this might sound, may be the same way when they're out of the house.

---

Might continue this later on when the rest of my thoughts get organized.

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Super Perforator
Thank heavens someone else is having problems with the servers.....

Praise James!
Ask your local weapons trader for the Super Perforator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0RIbxGxQc

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Fernando MRuiz
Super Perforator wrote
Thank heavens someone else is having problems with the servers.....

Praise James!
You should see the salt on the official forums. Sweet Baby Jesus, the conspiracy theories...

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Super Perforator
Has anyone tried to blame it on us yet?
Ask your local weapons trader for the Super Perforator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0RIbxGxQc

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Fernando MRuiz
Not yet.  The server problems would make it tricky to enforce the Code, and if someone had accused y'all of the DDOS, all it would take is someone to ask 'why would they handcuff themselves by making the servers unstable for their Agents?'

It'd be hilarious to see someone make the claim, though.  It would just prove that the most strident opponents of his group aren't really the sharpest scissors in the barber shop.

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Fernando MRuiz
Okay, got my thoughts organized again.  Had a few examples of some of the non-EVE carebearisms come to mind, but to be honest, and as a blatant shout-out, most of them pretty much boil down to 'you can see a lot of these on the ScrubQuotes Twitter account.'

When GMs Attack!

One of the offsite examples comes in the form of an interesting encounter.  I'll withhold the name of the MMO this happened on for the time being, but can come back and edit it in if mentioning other games is allowed, but a brief description of the game is that it takes place during the Age of Exploration, and outside of starting regions, the rest of the ocean maps have varying levels of PvP allowance: Safe, where it's disabled, Hostile, where PvP can take place, but earns enmity from the victim's home nation, and Lawless, which is the closest thing to nullsec as you can get without blatantly ripping off the security rating system in this game.

When I was more active on the game, one of the other players I received advice from on X, Y and Z is an active PvPer who had knowledge of other aspects of the game.  Before some of the players received a grant from the distributors to act as an  in-game helpdesk, if someone had a question about anything -- the best ships to use for insert-activity-here, what kind of sails to use and how much they cost, prices for lootbox ships, etc. -- and someone had the answer for that, they would answer it.  As soon as some players were given limited GM authority, my buddy was one of the lucky few to receive it, but still remained active in the game.

Which means that if he spotted you in Hostile/Lawless waters and was in close enough range, you were gonna be in for a fight whether you liked it or not.

And sure enough, good buddies as we were, he managed to catch me returning from the Caribbean with a very, very nice haul.  He preferred ships that had a balance between speed and DPS, while I was in a ship that was relatively slow, but had a large amount of cargo space.  I bet to him, I looked like an easy kill.

To put it in EVE-esque terms, his Megathron caught my Iteron.  I managed to run from him, but because I was already used to following the Code, still PMed 'good fight' to him afterward and would have anyway even if he managed to sink me.  It was only by the grace of the RNG that I manage to get away from him.

About ten minutes later, I'm watching the main chat while looking through the bazaars for a weapon I was watching for when I notice that the same buddy that had tried and failed to attack me managed to hit someone else that was returning to Europe.  I thought road rage footage had the longest strings of vulgarity prior to his rant.  After jumping in to point out that if this guy was in Hostile waters and wasn't checking the waters near his ship and the list of players in the area, and he still got caught and sunk, it was his own fault.

Never laughed so hard in my life at the insults.  I wish I could remember a fifth of them because I could remember questioning how I could be two opposites at the same time.  After all, two groups of real-world extremists who hate each other pretty fiercely wouldn't share a member.

So what's so great about a killer whale?

Returning to EVE for a minute, one of the things I was seeking out empirical evidence of was why, exactly, the Orca was such a carebear's dream date.  It couldn't be more than just the bonuses and being the keystone of a bot-miner's personal fleet, surely.  Surely.  So, and I have plans to get rid of it once I have the full scope of what it's capable of, I picked one up.  I won't use command bursts simply because I'm not skilled for them, so this evaluation is from the standpoint of a soloist who had an Idea.

From what I've seen so far, its base EHP alone should have been a major factor to these profligates.  Using my Skiff's fit as a base for the Orca's fit, equipment bumped her EHP up to just shy of 300k EHP:

Low:
Damage Control II
Power Diagnostic System II

Medium:
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
EM Ward Field II
Kinetic Deflection Field II
Thermal Dissipation Field II
500MN Microwarpdrive II

High:
Small Tractor Beam II x6

Rigs:
Large Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
Large Anti-Kinetic Screen Reinforcer I
Large Anti-Thermal Screen Reinforcer I

Drones:
Hobgoblin II x30
Salvage Drone I x5
Mining Drone I x5

By comparison, my mission-fit Kronos has an EHP of 113k.  The Orca's EHP is pushing triple that without running hardeners!

Maybe it's the capacity.  30k cargo and 150k ore just on their own is a hell of a lot, and while its cargo capacity is beyond what a tricked-out Iteron Mk. V can hold, its ore hold is almost 4x what the Miasmos can carry at a time.

The salvagers are there to check if it might be a viable alternative to the Noctis.  Short answer: kinda.  With my current skills, the tractors can reach about 2km further than they could on the Noctis, but the speed the tractors pull wrecks in is half they are on the Noctis.  Plus, 6 high slots on the Orca vs. the Noctis's 8.  Noctis clearly wins this round.

The mining yield, then?  After all, drones can mine from rocks that are much further out than strip miners, so that's gotta be good, right?  Nope.  Strip miners give you the ore right away once their cycle finishes, while mining drones need to fly to the rock, go through their cycle and fly back.  Even the base yield is half what an exhumer can pull, even without MLUs; I won't even try to work out the math for yield-per-hour, but given the total time between cycles and factoring in flight time for the little ants, a Code-compliant Skiff outperforms it by a large factor.

The only real advantages the Orca has over other ships are its base EHP (156k vs a Skiff's 44k before equipment), warp capabilities (base 2 AU/second in 60 seconds vs. the Obelisk's 1.37 AU/second in 65 seconds), drone damage (100% bonus per rank compared to the Dominix's, Dominix Navy Issue's and Sin's 10% bonus per rank) and price (Dodixie: 610M at the time of this post vs. the Obelisk's 1.11B).  So if anything, aside from the amount of time it needs to align to a station or warp gate, it's a cheaper alternative to high-end haulers and drone boats.

I don't get it.  Am I missing something with this ship's appeal other than that?

---

Good lord, I didn't think the analysis of the Orca would be my wordiest rant at this point, but here we go.  More random thoughts to come.

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Super Perforator
The ongoing connectivity problems are starting to wear on my good mood.
Ask your local weapons trader for the Super Perforator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G0RIbxGxQc

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Fernando MRuiz
Super Perforator wrote
The ongoing connectivity problems are starting to wear on my good mood.
On the bright side, we now have useless red dots that appear when something's added to your cargo hold.  Seriously, CCP, what.  Are.  You.  Doing right now?!

So... now that I got that out of my system, and I'm kinda proud of myself that I didn't just launch into the kind of rant I save for scam callers -- especially the ones who ask for the dude who had my number before I did -- time to get another thought out into the open.

The Erstwhile Ganker With The Carebear Attitude

Trust me, that line'll make a lot more sense in a minute in the light of the post that kicked this thread off.  The short version is that CAS had a new player who wanted to skip past learning the basics and start Venture hunting...

...in an Atron.

I could see it as a possibility.  The DPS may be high enough as long as she trained up her basic skills before giving it a try, though there are more efficient methods to pull a gank off on a Venture.  The problem, though?

She was impatient.  She wanted a good gank fit now, goddamnit, now.  Now -- good lord, that word's losing value by the sentence, isn't it? -- the last time someone on this side of the keyboard asked me about EO and wanted to try it, I recommended starting off as a Gallente and joining CAS because there's always at least four or five players online who'll tell you about anything under heaven and earth.  That alone makes them one of the best NPC corps to start off with, and that's one of the reasons I won't consider leaving them.

This girl, though... Sweet baby James, she didn't get what any of us were telling her.  We were letting her know that she'd be better off training up for Catalysts and skilling up to use at least a basic Warp Scrambler I so the Venture doesn't try to wiggle free.  A few of us even recommended looking into CODE. for help on getting started on her potential career as an Agent (though one of the other members wasn't as flattering when they suggested it).

She logs off, and we haven't seen her since.  So much for that.  Honestly, with her attitude towards helpful advice, I can foresee a lossmail list longer than mine in the near future.

Re: Just a few random thoughts.

Super Perforator
congratulations!

you made it on to the blog.

http://www.minerbumping.com/2020/02/highsec-miner-grab-bag-203.html

I like how James pays attention to everything. That is why he was voted Savior.

He might also be right about me overthinking my post.  Still, better to ask than to shoot from the hip and step on a mod's toes.