Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Agent Lazuli
Fellow agents

I have been engaging in New Order operations in EVE space. Operations have been successful but many miners have been reporting my character for harassment without result.

Last night this changed. A miner reported me for asking him to change his Bio. He stated it was against the EULA for a player to force another player to modify their Bio.

What was especially concerning is that a CCP GM then messaged me and requested that I do not harass players in such a manner. After I queried him he stated there were no issues with my attacking or bumping other player ships as this was part of EVE gameplay.

The problem I have is that even though my Agent is in an NPC corp my other characters on the same account are in a player corp and I do not want to suffer a time ban. Because of this I have suspended operations until I can get some clarification about asking non-compliant miners to change their Bio. I have tried to find reference to Bio in the EULA but can not.

Agent Lazuli

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Jimmy Rustler
We cannot force miners to change their bios. We suggest they do so their ships are easily identified as compliant vessels. Should a miner chose to disregard the suggestion, they become collateral damage in a ganking operation. The choice is theirs.

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Bing Bangboom
  I generally just tell them to buy a permit and follow The Code.  Once they buy a permit I advise them to change their bio so that the other Agents and Knights can identify them.

  I think leading with the demand that they change their bio is probably where the GM thought you crossed some line.  In reality, we don't want them to change their bios until they have bought a permit and become Code compliant.

  Just don't mention the bio change until they pay.  Then I think its not harassment to advise them to do so.  They've already cooperated so its friendly advise.

  Of course, I'm just a lowly Agent in the crowd.  James himself probably will have some actual policy thoughts.

BBB
Highsec is worth fighting for.

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

MinerBumping
Administrator
My thoughts are that I agree with Bing.

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Agent Lazuli
Thank you for the clarification. I think in future I will not mention the bio change. I do not want to risk further warnings or a time ban. It is possible I simply need to track who has or has not paid their mining license. My area of ops (0.5/0.6) is a low pop area so it should not be too difficult to track each miner by name.  Hopefully our leader James 315 can make a statement.

Agent Lazuli

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Titus Phook
There's always the magical spreadsheet that contains the names of permit holders, i don't have the link handy but it's updateable by agents.

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Agent Eunoli
I've sold many permits and escorted many a Code violator out of mining range.

My procedure is to inform people that they are being escorted out of mining range for violating the Code of the New Order of Highsec.  I inform them that they can purchase a mining permit for the low and extremely reasonable price of 10 million ISK and that they have to follow the Code in order to avoid having their mining operations interrupted further.

The only time I bring up a bio update is after a purchase is made.  I put it this way in a private conversation with the permit buyer:

>Please update your bio with a message of support for James 315 and the New Order of Highsec.
>www.minerbumping.com
>This allows members of the New Order to quickly identify you as having purchased a mining permit.
>This minimizes the potential for mistakes later on.
>If you ever encounter difficulties with Agents of the New Order of Highsec in the future please do not hesitate in contacting us.
>Thank you and have a great day.  Enjoy your mining!

If the person doesn't want to update their Bio then they can't complain that a mistake happened later on but it is up to them.  We can't force them to do it.

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

Vreedom
"...they are being escorted out of mining range..."
made me laugh so hard - I've got tears in my eyes!

♥ Agent Eunoli

Re: Question regarding Bio note and GM warning

virm pasuul
Surely the way to tackle this is just to change the language....

From you "must" change your biio
to:

Please consider adding this to you bio. It helps our agents identify code compliant miners, and makes a gank in error on your mining ship much less likely. In addition we only pay compensation out in a case of a gank in error if your bio was clearly marked at the time of the gank.

It then becomes a matter of choice for the miner, rather than being forced.

Also the whole question of force could be argued. If I choose to go to 00 space and I'm not blue to the 00 space owners then they are FORCING me under threat of ship/pod death to become blue to them. It's exactly the same, what the difference? I MUST do something to appease a greater force or they will kill me. What's the difference?

It impossible to FORCE someone to change their bio. They choose to do it from threat of attack. What the difference between that and many other situations in EVE?  Sorry to labour the same point over and over but I don't think that was thought through very well by whoever at CCP posted it.

Maybe that's why all the CCP posts on the matter are 404 now. A very poor state of affairs.